Saturday 11 December 2010

An Update on Tia

The human here again with some good news and some bad news.


Tia is doing as well as can be expected. Since she's gone in, she hasn't thrown up, but she also hasn't pooped, something which we were hoping for so that we could send off more samples. She was dehydrated and ill enough that they put her on IV fluids straight away yesterday, but her vein blew this morning, so they had to take her off them. They decided to see how she'd go without them in light of this set back, and she's been managing Ok with eating little and often, and drinking. She lost 250G of weight since her last episode with Mr Bug, which isn't so good, but she's alert and watching the people at the vets, so she isn't as lethargic as she was. They were giving her opiates because she was very uncomfortable, but when the drip came out, they stopped too, and she appears to be managing.


Preliminary blood work shows nothing abnormal. A couple of the levels hint at dehydration, but we knew this already. A more detailed blood screen is due back on Monday, so hopefully, that coupled with my own tests will give us more of an idea.


The vet said they wanted to keep her in at least until monday so that they could collect the poo sample, but I wasn't particularly happy with this, as I find Tia copes better at home. She poos more regularly, eats better and is much less stressed. So far, poo samples have been sent a total of five times (from the dog, me and her) and not one of them has showed anything positive, so I don't think it's justified keeping her in an extra few days for the sole purpose of getting another poo sample, as I doubt it will show anything. I told him this and he agrees, so if she manages to get her temperature down to a more acceptable normal rather than in the upper range of that, and carries on maintaining her fluid intake on her own without throwing up or having the runs, she will be allowed to come home tomorrow. Boy am I glad of that! If she doesn't get any better though, they'll keep her in regardless, which I agree with.


I spoke to Dogman today to work out whether, in light of this, he will still have her for me at Christmas, and while I was talking, I had a thought. If this bug is indeed a zoonotic one, this next few weeks poses the optimum opportunity. I will be in Ireland and Molly will be in her new home. Two of us will already be out of physical contact with each other, so if I can do the same for Tia, hopefully this bug will have a chance to run its course, and when we all see each other again, we will not be infectious. Dogman's mum has had Molly to stay with her numerous times, and Dogface says she would be more comfortable with a dog than a cat. Add to that that Dogman was here the first time Tia got sick, and knows what to look for in time to get her to a vet, and you come to the conclusion that it would be better for Tia to be with him. His house is also an awful lot more quiet too.


As he's happy to have her, I'm going to ask his mum if she'd mind having Molly for the two weeks I was planning to leave the pair of them with Dogman. If she says yes, this is two solid weeks of isolation from each other. it gives us the best chance of overcoming this thing totally. I'm going to have help too, as Dogman's friend is coming to collect us all in his car, and he's said he'll help me bleach everything with a strong solution to hopefully kill the bug, whatever it is. I'm going to arrange to have my carpets cleaned on the same day, and will see if I can get hold of a steamer to do the soft furnishings like the sofas, bed etc. Then it will have two weeks of no living hosts, and while I know this might not be long enough, it's still better than nothing.


So that's where we are today. Things are as good as they can be, I suppose.

15 comments:

Katnip Lounge said...

Fingers and paws crossed that all three of you get well, and STAY well.
Purrs from alla us at the Lounge, XX

SASS....Sammy Andy Shelly Sierra said...

We continue to purray for Tia's quick and total recovery

Our mama is quite envious of the trip to Ireland and wonders where in Ireland????? She loves it there and spent a year living in Killiney (south of Dublin) a few years back ....while we lived with our sisterbean.

Tia and Millie said...

Hi there

It's a place called Craigavon, about 30 miles or so south of Belfast. I miss Ireland a lot when I'm not there, so am really looking forward to getting back and seeing all the family. The youngsters grow up so flippin fast when you're not around to see it happen!

Amy & the house of cats said...

Hi Carly, I am so so sorry that you all keep getting so sick - I do think you are right that it is good for Tia to stay at the vets if needed, but if just for a sample then I think you are right to bring her home because it will make her far less stressed. I also think you are being very smart about the arrangements while you are gone - this will hopefully help you all get well since you won't have a compromised immune system with a bug passing around (if that sentence makes sense I hope!) I haven't been doing too much blog visiting the past couple days but my first stop was here to check on thing - know that even if I am not getting the chance to stop by (which will be tough the next couple days because I can't sneak on the computer at work monday and tuesday since my boss will be in) that all of us at House of Cats are sending over tons of get well purrs and prayers, even when we can't come by to tell you! I will be trying to check and hope to see good news!! I have a good feeling that this is going to pass, it is just going to take a little time!! Sending you all hugs!!

Old Kitty said...

Me and Charlie have come over from Amy and the House of Cats! We heard that you are all not well!! We hope sweet Tia rallies so she'd at least spend the rest of the weekend at home.
We are sending you all purrs and hugs!

Take care
x

Marg said...

WE are so sorry to hear that Tia is so sick again. We are sending tons of purrs and prayers that she will get all better soon. Take care. Keeping our paws crossed too.

Admiral Hestorb said...

Paws are crossed extra extra hard and mommy's fingers too. Let this be the END of it.

Sweet Purrfections said...

I am so very sorry that Tia and you are both sick again. This has really got to be wearing both of you down physically and emotionally. It's really rough when you don't know what the cause it. Does Tia have a fever? Two years ago, Sweet Praline got really sick with vomiting, diarrhea, and a fever. The vet narrowed it down to something called "Flea Fever." It appears that Sweet Praline was allergic to flea bites. It took her a while to get well, but I monitor her for fleas very carefully now. Since she weighs less than 8 pounds, the vet put Advantage Orange for Cats on her.

The Florida Furkids said...

We're sending loads of prayers and purrs for Tiz.


The Florida Furkids and Angel Sniffie

The Lee County Clowder said...

Sending comforting purrrrrss and healing purrrayers. Hang in there, all of you.

Karen said...

I am glad Tia is feeling better. And I hope the time apart will work to kill the yuck going around. I was thinking the same thing and maybe disinfect the house and also leave it closed with no one it is will kill any germs. I hope that is all you need. Also although we won the contest please do not worry about the soft claws until after the holiday and you are back home.

Karen said...

Ps enjoy Ireland, We can not wait to go back

Karen Jo said...

I am really sorry that this nasty bug just will not leave you alone. I think that your arrangements are very smart.

Puss-Puss said...

Warm purrs for you both, Carly and Tia. I haven't heard of issues with Revolution. I think the bleach is a good idea, and steaming the upholstery as well. Is Lyme disease an issue in your area? Whatever the cause, I can't help but think that if you disinfect everything and seal up the house so that the microorganisms have nothing to live on, and also continue with the program of the enforced isolation from one another as you mentioned, that this has to correct itself.

I hope you both are feeling better very soon...

Regards,
Puss-Puss (and human)

The Creek Cats said...

Our purrs, prayers and healing vibes are being sent to sweet Tia!