Sunday 8 May 2011

Scratching for Love

Friends, I know it sounds a bit strange that you could possibly scratch your people and they would give you love, but you know what? It's true!




Do you remember ages and ages back that my human and I were training each other when it came to treats? I'd put my paws up on her leg and she'd give me a treat. Reciprocal training, and as it had benefit to me, I liked it! Well, ever since then I've been really comfortable at putting my paws on the human when we're cuddling, or padding on her arms or her tummy or, well, wherever my paws happen to be. Whenever I do this she makes silly love noises at me and sometimes even gives me the dreaded kissie torture, so I know she likes it. This week, I decided to try something new. Let me tell you a play-by-play of how I did it today.





The human was tap tapping away on the flat keyboard thing that makes the man in the computer box talk to her. I didn't like the fact that he was getting all the attention. After all, that spot should perpetually be mine! I walked over to her and sat down at her feet. No reaction. Well, that was silly of me, cuz I'd walked quietly so that my bell made hardly any noise, and with the chattering of that silly little man, she probably didn't hear it. I wondered what to do next. now that I might have babycats in my yummy tummy, I don't think I should actually have to go to the trouble of jumping up to get a cuddle. it might upset them! I thought about it, then I remembered what I used to do for treats. But I'd put my paws on her thigh cuz she'd kneel down so I could do it. Cuz she was sitting, her thigh was too high for me, but I thought it might work anyway.





I balanced myself on my shapely ladycat back legs, and I put my front paws on her shin. Then I scrabbled at her to get her attention. You know kinda like you would with a scratching post? Sept I did it with only the tips of my claws out, so instead of scratching her I was just about snagging her jeans. Well, I tell you what, that got her attention good and fast! She put down the keyboard, bent over and started giving me all sorts of rubs. I'm sad to say I even got the kissie nasty thing a few times too, although it was offset by all the snuggling. I took my paws off her straight away, but to my surprise, she reachd under my chest and put them back, so it must be ok to have them there. she made a big fuss of me while I was standing against her leg. She says she wants me to feel comfortable enough to climb all over her when I want a cuddle if she's not paying me attention, and I must say that after today, I think I'll try the scratchy thing again! It didn't go down so well when I scratched the carpet at her feet instead of her trousers though, cuz that time i had my claws right out. She put her hand on me, tapped my paws and told me no in a very, very firm voice that she doesn't use often with me. As a mark of how brave I'm etting, I didn't run away and hide, ahem, I mean protect my territory. Even a few months ago I wouldn't have been that brave. I did give her ahead bumpie to say I was sorry though, and I haven't scratched the carpet again sept for a tiny bit by my scratching post, and I stopped as soon as she told me to.,/p>




So, scratching can gain you a no if you do it on the carpet, but boy does it bring the good stuff when you do it on a human!





oh, and just in case you haven't seen it, the post belowthis one is my yummy tummy picture post! you should all go and have a look. My human remembers when that picture was taken and she says that she could have eaten my yummy tummy all up! Personally, I think she's been mixing with Mom Trish and he Admiral's Mom too much. Their ideas are starting to rub off on her! Let's just hope neither of them threaten to eat me too! If they do, I'm running for the hills!

4 comments:

Katnip Lounge said...

Tia, Scouty says to keep a sharp eye out for the dreaded stew pot! We think it's great that you are so comfy with your Human, 'specially if you have kittens you'll need her to run relief for you. Here today in America it's Mother's Day, so we're wishing your Human a Happy Mommy Day from MomKat Trish and the crew at the Katnip Lounge!

The Lee County Clowder said...

Tia, it is clear you are getting your human trained. A quick scratch is a good way to get a cuddle, but you might want to be a little careful. If you hit bare skin with your claws, sometimes your human will jump, especially if they don't know you are there.

meowmeowmans said...

Very impressive, Tia! You are doing such a great job training your human! :)

Amy & the house of cats said...

Hi Tia! We think it is great that you are training your human so well! It is important that you are comfortable and also important that she learn when you want attention. And it sounds like you both are doing so good - that really brought a big smile to our faces! And we love that picture of your cute tummy - it is super cute!!

Oh, and guess what - our mom FINALLY posted about the toy exchange - it isn't quite as beautifully written as we hoped but we think mom did a pretty ok job describing it so that your human could have the computer man read it to her (we wish she could see the pictures - but if she plays the smilebox she can hear the music - mom didn't pick it specifically so it could be totally goofy, but it is something to listen to!)