Thursday, 4 November 2010

More Madness

Oh how I wish I could tell you that this terrible episode was all over, that I had Tia back home and snuggling with me. I don't. On her front though, it's relatively good news. She is continuing to improve, but just refuses to give them the poo samples they need to run the tests for Giardia and other nasties. They've kept her in to try.

In breaking news though, Molly has joined her furry friend in the ranks of those in the local animal hospital. I think I told you yesterday that I took her to the vet to be checked. Today though, things got worse.

I woke up to poo on my hall floor, and when I say poo, I mean poo. Liquid, loads of it, stinking and smelly just like Tia's. I cleaned it as best I could, but the consistency was so thin that it had soaked right down into the carpet. I took her downstairs to the grass, and honestly, if I hadn't known better, I'd have thought she was having a pee by the sound alone. That's how liquid this stuff was, and there was loads more. I began to worry then. This was too reminiscent of Tia.

I got myself and her ready and called a taxi to get to the vet. Problem. The taxi company wouldn't take her because of the risk that she'd poo in their car. I tried another and another until I'd run out of options, and not one would take her. I couldn't work her in this condition and because I've only recently moved here, I don't know anyone with a car who doesn't work and who would come at short notice to drive me.

I next tried the pet ambulance who will transport pets to the vet if needed. The earliest they could get here meant that she'd have to wait for eight hours. That was too long and I was too worried. I had no choices left, so I did a very stupid but necessary thing. I clipped on her lead and started to walk. I say stupid because firstly I only have the roughest of ideas where the vet is on foot and secondly because she was ill enough that I didn't want to stress her more, but I didn't know what else to do.

Luckily one of the drivers who regularly takes me saw me, stopped and drove me the rest of the way. I can't tell you how relieved I was.

When we got there, they examined Molly. Her temperature was normal thanks to me opening all doors and windows and putting the air conditioner on her while trying to get the ambulance to come, and she was hydrated because I'd sneaked a lot of water into a small feed I gave her. They were concerned though, and so was I. Based on what had happened to Tia, it was too much of a risk to take Molly home. Things could change too quickly, and quite apart from that, because I couldn't close her in anywhere, she was pooing all over the house which was a risk for me given that it takes time and a bit of luck to find it if she does it in my living room.

So they admitted her. I don't know how she's doing. I haven't heard anything all day. I'm going to phone in a moment.

I've had my carpets cleaned today too. Now that Molly's got it, I've come to the conclusion that it's a bug of some sort. Clowder may well be right with the observation on the water being the problem. There's another guide dog not too far away from me who's come down with something that sounds the same. I've boiled some in a pan to kill off any nasties, and tonight I'm going to order a delivery of lots of bottled stuff to get us through the next few weeks. I had the carpets cleaned to make sure that if the bug was shed from them, it wouldn't be lying dormant in the carpets waiting to reinfect.

So, my carpets are soaked and I am totally without animals. This lack of furries is weird. I've not been without one around for four years now. I keep thinking I need to take her out, then almost talking to her before I remember she's not here. I'm a little less worried about Molly. I got her in in good time, and she's a lot bigger than Tia. I'm not bringing her home until she is totally, totally better though. I will, as always, keep you posted.


Jan's Funny Farm said...

What a mess! We can only imagine what you are all going through. and the expense. We send lots of purrs and tail wags. Hope Tia and Molly will be through this soon!

OKcats said...

Goodness, this is terrible. Is there also a chance that Tia brought something nasty back from the breeder? Just a thought...

I hope everyone is doing well soon. You must be exhausted, both physically and mentally.

Tia said...

I thought that myself initially and called her straight back. Even if i hadn't suspected, I needed to let her know in case, rather than getting it from her cats, Tia had brought it. She's seen absolutely no signs of sickness in her cattery though, and this lady is genuine enough that she'd have been honest with me if she had. It's just so mind boggling. I wish I knew what it was!

Kea said...

Oh, my, it never rains but it pours, doesn't it? Lots of purrs and healing Light to both Tia and Molly (and you!). Actually, if it IS something in the water, then at least you know what the cause is and can treat it, avoid future problems!

The Lee County Clowder said...

Sending comforting purrrrss and healing purrrayers to you all. It must really be weird having no fur babies around at all. We're really glad you got a lift to the vet for you and Molly.

We hope you can get around OK while waiting for Molly to recover.

Karen said...

I am glad Tia is getting better and hope Molly is feeling better as well. Hopefully it is something as simple as the water. Can you bring a sample to the vet.

Sweet Praline said...

Oh no! There may be something to the water thing. I hope everyone is well soon.